Carter’s lake and dam is located near Ellijay and was completed in 1977. The lake is more than 3,000 acres and is quite popular with campers, hikers, fishermen and mountain bikers. It is the deepest lake in Georgia and offers great fishing with more than 60 miles of shoreline. There is also a big wildlife management area that is open to hunters and it spans 2 counties and 6000 acres. Deer hunting is only open for archers but you can shoot turkey and small game with firearms. You will find several hiking trails ranging in difficulty, including The Hidden Pond Songbird Trail. You can choose from five different campgrounds, only two are open the entire year.
- Celebrate Your Pet On National Pet Day 04/06/2022
- Feel Great with Routine Body Workouts at Harrison Park 04/05/2022
- Bigfoot, An Annual Ellijay, GA Favorite 03/28/2022
- Women’s History Month 03/24/2022
- 2022 for Gilmer County Cross Country 5K Races 03/22/2022